Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Safe

My Safe is an Eclipse RCP based software I developed last year. As suggested by its name, it is a secure file manager.

It is easy to use. You must input the correct password in order to enter My Safe. Inside My Safe, you can see all directories and files as they originally are. But these directories and files are encrypted in the file system. And they are decrypted on demand in My Safe's interface. The password you use to enter My Safe is the key for encryption and decryption. AES is used as the cipher.

I want to argue that such software as My Safe is necessary even on our personal desktops or laptops. So that other people may possess our computer but can not possess our data.

My Sony laptop does have a secure drive called My Safe as well, but it is not perfect. It is a proprietary technology. It means the data is tightly bound to the Sony laptop. So if the software is broken, there is no way for me to recover the encrypted data. And I can not decrypted the encrypted data on another computer.

Therefore I developed my very own My Safe. And it turns out to be very useful!

No comments: